Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Cultural Objects

The first cultural object I found in my room is a small Che Guevara stuffed animal.  He is dressed in the typical army uniform that Che is generally portrayed in.  Similarly, he is wearing the beret that defined Che Guevara.  I have always been interested in South American history, as well as political science and how it has defined various cultures.  Yet, Che Guevara often reminds me about the consumerism that often follows political movements.  Brands have used Che's image on tons of various toys, t-shirts, and posters.  The consumerization of his name and face could be an interesting topic to explore in my paper.

My second cultural object is the book Not On Our Watch.  This book is written by Don Cheadle and John Prendergast.  The two chronicle their personal experiences regarding the genocide in Darfur.  I have always believed this issue is highly underpublicized and not regarded enough by both citizens and politicians.  This book brings greater acknowledgement to these issues and is important in influencing my generation and hopefully inspiring them to make change. 

1 comment:

Ms Bates said...

Che! He communit-rebel face graces many for-purchase items in the local hipster-but-still-capitalist market. It is an interesting occurance.

Visit Aaron and David's blog to view my comments on their entries on the necklace, shoes, and game; the lesson there applies to the doll as well.